November 4, 2009

Bloody Mary Shots with Avocado Toasts

The holiday season is creeping up on us. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, it's all just around the corner and I am ready! Well, ready in spirit at least.

For obvious reasons, I love this time of year. There is always so much going on and so much of it involves entertaining with good food. Dinner parties, work parties, family get togethers etc...

These Bloody Mary shots and accompanying toasts are perfect for the party season! They deliver the "wow" factor along with maximum taste, all with minimal effort. The avocado toasts are fabulous on their own. The two combined; however, compliment each other beautifully. The tangy tomato juice, with it's spicy zing, is cleverly balanced out by the rich and creamy avocado toasts.

Having said that; it is surprisingly easy to make a bad Bloody Mary, especially for beginners. So, until you're comfortable with your bartending abilities, here are a few tips:
Always use 100% Tomato juice. Do not use V-8.
Good quality vodka is a must!
Seasonings such as celery salt and black pepper are essential.
Experiment with other key ingredients such as Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce to get an idea of your preferred ratio (see below). And finally, try to chill the mixture for as long as possible (preferably overnight) to allow all the flavours to mingle.

There is no rule as to how much Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice you should use, it all comes down to personal taste. I never skimp on the Tabasco though, as I like my Bloody Mary's with a kick! You could always make up a batch with all the ingredients minus the Tabasco. This way your guests can add as much or as little as they please? For this recipe I have stated the quantities that suit my taste. Feel free to adjust.

You can always make your Bloody Mary a Virgin Bloody Mary if you want to skip the alcohol. I'm sure it will taste just as good!

Adapted from BBC Good Food

Serves approximately 4-6 (depending on the size of your glasses)

Bloody Mary Mix:
500 ml 100% Tomato Juice
1 tsp horseradish
4 tbls vodka
1 tbls Tabasco ( This is more like a punch and a kick, so less if you're not up for it )
1 tbls Worcestershire sauce
1 tbls lemon juice
1/4 tsp celery salt
Finely ground black pepper
Salt to taste

Avocado Toasts:
1 large avocado
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1/2 small English cucumber, finely diced
1 tomato, diced
1/2 lemon
Olive oil
8-12 Slices of a long, skinny baguette

Mix all Bloody Mary ingredients together and chill until needed.
Half the avocado, carefully scoop out the flesh with a spoon and finely dice. Mix the cucumber, tomato, red onion and avocado together with a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkling of salt. Rub each toasted bread slice with a little olive oil. Spoon avocado mixture evenly onto the bread slices. Serve two toasts with each shot of Bloody Mary. Garnish with cucumber spears and enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. These look really wonderful for a cocktail party! Excellent pictures as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOW THIS IS A USEFUL RECIPE... It's noon (I mean morning) SOMEWHERE!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I could totally go for a couple of shots and some toasts...they are so gorgeous :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this blog and the recipes!~ So glad you found my blog also, at The Plumed pen blog; glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the kind comments of encouragement!

    Cheers from Silken Purse

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm mmm BMs are my favorite. I usually take the easy route and buy my favorite zing zang mix but maybe i'll try yours next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing calls for shots quite like the holiday season does...at least in my family. We are renowned for our Thanksgiving tequila shot contests haha. I love bloody marys because they are just so savory and salty. I may have to introduce these to our next holiday fiesta!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these look and sound wonderful! Its been years since I had a bloody mary. Time to give them a go again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had a Bloody Mary so I'll definitely be bookmarking this recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I do love a bloody mary. Great recipe and pictures. Thanks also for following my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jennie your photography is beautiful, and not just because you have my all time favorite drink here! Ohh yum.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. A Bloody Mary and avocado on toast sounds like the perfect combination! Lovely pics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jennie, I am having a Thanksgiving brunch next Saturday and these Bloody Mary Shots and Avocado bites will be a great addition to the menu. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by Creative Kitchen! I work at an Italian restaurant 2 nights a week, and they make the best bruschetta. I've been meaning to try it at home. This avocado on toast seems very similar and I can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete